Adrian Beney, Partner of More Partnership delivered a highly informative presentation at Hubbub’s Digital Giving Day about the latest changes in regulations and how they affect fundraising and digital programs.
The changing regulatory environment is not stopping people from fundraising, but the processing of data must be fair from now on.
According to Adrian, it is a challenge to make processing fair and these are the fundamentals of fair processing of data:
- explain who you are
- explain what you’re doing
- let people know who’s processing the data
- explain what you’re going to do with their data
Ensure you have evidence of consent
Evidence of consent is crucial from now on and digital communication and social media have a significant role in getting consent.
Here’s an overview in case you’re wondering whether you need a consent to contact someone.
How to control consent
There is a need for co-operation within different parts of the same organisation in order to increase the effectiveness when controlling consent. Here some tips from Adrian on controlling consent:
- Be clear on privacy notices
- Use a layered approach, give bits of information to people at appropriate moments
- Set reasonable expectations
- Use the power of digital and social media to get consent
How can you earn consent?
- Audience analysis and segmentation – look at your current database while researching or segmenting the audience
- Message testing – try testing different asks through multiple channels and A/B testing
- Digital fundraising asks – use ambassador networks to stimulate others to get involved
- Data collection, reporting, research, consent – these can derive from stewardship communications, project creators (students), donors
If you want to listen to more details and examples, watch the full video of the presentation below.
Missed our Digital Giving Day? How about registering your interest for our next events?Get notified for our next events